Stony Brook is remarkable for the abundance of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century buildings still in use. Much of the old hamlet remains in the streets leading up to and out of its center; few twentieth-century structures interrupt the progression of homes of the farmers, craftsmen, and seamen who were the backbone of the community. The center itself dates from 1940 and is an interpretation of Federal architecture. Using photographs, documents, and oral histories from the archives of the Three Village Historical Society and from generous residents, Stony Brook reveals the old center, portrays buildings that no longer exist, and follows other structures to their new location. The book also shows many familiar buildings in much earlier but still recognizable form, revisits aspects of village life prior to World War II, and documents the transformations of 1940 to 1946.
The Three Village Historical Society has compiled Stony Brook to bring to life the little-known history of this hamlet. Collaborating on the work were Frank Turano, Ph.D., research assistant professor and environmental historian, Department of Ecology and Evolution at Stony Brook University; Joan B. Weinstein, M.A., chairman of the Three Village Historical Society Archives Committee; Karen Martin, C.A., the archivist of the society; and Professor R. Lawrence Swanson, Ph.D., Marine Sciences Research Center of Stony Brook University.