Three Village Historical Society – 2017 AWARD WINNERS
- Lawrence Swanson and Malcolm J. Bowman, will be awarded The Robert Cushman Memorial Award – in recognition of significant contribution to the preservation and conservation of our natural environment. Both are on the faculty of the Marine Science Department at SUNY and are being honored for their recently published book – “Between Stony Brook Harbor Tides” – The Natural History of a Long Island Pocket Bay. This award has only been given eight times since 1987.
- Carlton “Hub” Edwards, is the honoree chosen for the Kate Wheeler Strong Memorial Award – in recognition of significant contribution toward the fostering of interest in local history. Hub is a life-long resident of the Three Villages and his knowledge of the area is something to treasure, as are the memories he shares of his 85 years lived here and his work on the Society’s Chicken Hill Exhibit.
- Millie Mastrion a long-time member, past Trustee and volunteer will receive The Maggie Gillie Memorial Award – for contributions by a member of the Society in recognition of overall dedicated service, and for significant contributions furthering the goals of the Society.
- The deep interest in history led Sean Mullen to the Three Village Historical Society. Sean has applied his knowledge by volunteering at the Society’s archives while pursuing his degree in history at SUNY Stony Brook. He has been working with the Society’s collections especially those relating to the Revolutionary era and the Culper Spy Ring. For that, Sean will receive the Gayle Becher Memorial Award – in recognition of volunteer efforts to help the Society by performing those necessary tasks that facilitate its efficient operation. This award honors volunteers whose work consists of loyal support repeated on a regular basis.
- Kristin Moller, a senior at Ward Melville, is this years honoree for the Sherman Mills Young Historian Award – a prestigious award presented for contributions to the Society by a young person. Kristen has volunteered many hours to Society events and exhibits including Chicken Hill and SPIES! Culper Spy Ring.
TVHS COMMUNITY AWARD CERTIFICATES
- Enhancing or Restoring a building used as a commercial structure in a way that contributes to the historic beauty of the area.
- Awarded to: Michael and Anthony Butera – ATM Butera Mason Contractors & Landscaping – for the reconstruction of the 1892 chimney on the Emma Clark Library.
- For house restoration or renovation and ongoing maintenance and preservation in keeping with the original architectural design.
- Awarded to: John and Christine Negus – for their home 34 Old Post Road
- For ornamental plantings or landscaping that enhances the beauty of the Three Village area.
- Awarded to: The Prinzivalli Family – 6 Old Field Road, Setauket, NY
2017 Awards Committee
Fred Bryant and Janette Handley (Co-chairs)
Patty Cain, Karin Lynch, Orlando Maione, Janet McCauley, Michael O’Dwyer and Barbara Russell